Friday, July 31, 2009

Bridge Washed Out - Must Detour...

Why can't things run smooth?

I'm at an impasse. I've started my vid for the competition but now I've run into some memory issues. My ram is taxed passed its limits and now iClone keeps crashing when I try to open my project. I can't get in to work on it anymore. So I'm trying to scope out some new ram (I hope that's the problem) and get that installed. Problem is, the nearby stores don't have the one I want in stock so I'm going to have to order it online to have it delivered. That probably won't happen until Tuesday earliest so I'm losing the whole weekend.

Now that's not taking account the additional elements that I had planned for this video - elements that I'm basically learning as I go, will take quite a bit of time and that I need the renders from iClone first before I can even start them.

Tack on to that that I'm going on vacation for a week which means that's a whole week I can't work on it, that leaves me with just under 3 weeks to get it done. In some respects, my "Pinhead in the S*** " is technically a lot simpler than what I'm attempting now - and that took me almost 2 months! :(

If left to my own devices, I would move the coffee maker on top of my printer and I would work on it day and night for the rest of the summer (yes, I am that crazy - ask my friends) to get it done in time but that would be at the exclusion of all other responsibilities which simply isn't fair to those people. And my peeps would break into my house to stage an intervention by kidnapping me in the middle of the night and leaving my butt in Amish country. *Oh the torture!*

So here I am - what to do? For a second - only a split second - I thought about compromising the scope of my film. I would not be happy with it but it would be for the sake of getting it done on time. I quickly nixed that option because I think my idea has grown from just being a piece to compliment a poster to a piece that could stand on it's own.

So here is where I'm going to detour - I'm going to make two films. One, my original vision that most likely won't be done by the end of August and another, much simplified, that iClone will be able to handle at present and I could probably bang out within the week before I leave. I'm going to take the day to think up a new script - probably same premise (to go with the poster) but a totally different approach. I still aim to have my original version completed in time for the Machinima Expo - thankfully, I've got an extra month for that so it should be doable. Wish me luck.

'Til next time! :)

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm... have you thought about working on it as a series of smaller chunks?

    I know it's not exactly what you want to do but, as they say over here, "needs must when the devil craps on your rhubarb"... or something...

    If you were to do it as maybe 5 seperate pieces and then stitch them together outside, it might enable you to produce the original in the time you have. Not ideal, and it will likely take a little longer to put together, but it's better than having to suspend work on it in the meantime...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the devil first puked on my rhubarb then crapped on it. :)

    I usually do work in small chunks - a few seconds each and then edit it in Premiere. I spent the week setting up the set with all the assets I needed (which I think is the problem) and now I can't open the project. The moment my virtual memory hits 2GB it crashes, without fail. I think the only solution is to get more physical memory (I only have 4GB) so that I can allocate more virtual memory.

    To start from scratch at this point to rebuild wouldn't make any sense - I'd never finish in time. I'm seriously bummed, but it is what it is. At least I've learned to always save different stages of set construction instead of just updating a single file. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. *Ouch* I feel your pain and frustration. Sounds like you need to "Upgrade" - which reminds me, there are alternatives to buying more RAM - you could buy a big, noisy gun instead. Well, I will keep you in my computer upgrade prayers in hopes you will soon find resolution and peace. I don't know if you are much of a walker, but when I'm feeling frustrated I go out for a walk and it always helps. Unless it's the middle of the night - in that case just jog in place in your livingroom. ;) Hang in there Twitter Friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, upgrade. Beginning to hate that word. Thanks, Cathy - yeah I had to walk away cause I was ready to throw a keyboard. Went on the Wii and beat up some Miis instead in Swordfighting. Moved myself up quite a few levels - they didn't stand a chance in my mood, lol. :)

    I'm just trying to figure out an alternate vid idea I can be happy with for the comp that still works for the poster. So far, no joy.

    ReplyDelete