Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Charting New Territory...

Well I've been busy, but damn if I have anything to show for it! :( RL started to calm down for me this past weekend after a job interview (haven't heard back yet *cross fingers*) but it's gonna kick back up next Thursday when I start yet another AQ course (why do I torture myself). I thought I'd take advantage of this 'downtime' to make a teeny tiny advance in my next project but of course, there are challenges at every turn. Gotta love it.

So the bare gist of my story is formulated - got my general plot and main characters identified (with names). I've been thinking about VAs I may like for some parts but I've got tons to do before then so I can present them with a dignified script.

Which brings me to Challenge #1 - writing the darned thing! Man, it's hard! I'm pulling out all my 'Writer's Digest' books and stuff - my desk is piled high. Yeah, tried to get into writing fanfiction way back when. School got in the way so I never had time to devote to it. The creative outlet may have changed but the storytelling drive remains the same! I'm also trying to use Celtx to do this right. Gotta learn all the proper jargon and format and stuff - Killian - save me! :) But anyhoo, got my character profiles with pics started which I think will be really helpful for the voice actors so they can really know their character. I plan to just distribute my Celtx file to the VAs so they can have everything they need.

Character-wise, I've got the faces of three of my male characters done - nothing special but at least it's one less thing to worry about. I haven't even thought of the outfits - no, I'm lying. I've thought about it but I'm just too intimidated to start working on it, lol. Clothing is a challenge for me - Challenge #2. I've recently picked up the G3 Male Clone Cloth - has some issues with the cloth 'tearing' sometimes but I can work around that. This is the first time I have the whole set so I'm thinking of a varied wardrobe depending on the scene/circumstance. I'm really glad they got that wrinkle map addition to the cloth - I think it'll help the realism look a lot. I know I want an expedition-ish theme but I want to be careful because of Gabe's awesome release "The Expedition". Plot-wise there aren't really any similarities but I still want to be as unique as possible. So yes, I will be attempting my own wardrobe. If I fail miserably, I'll probably go grovelling to the lovely and talented Alley to possibly help me out. :)

Now my biggest bone of contention - Challenge #3 - my props! This is really driving me up the wall because it's integral to the plot and I can't get it working yet. I'm wading out into new territory - ambitious? maybe. likely to fail? probably. am I doing it anyway? yup!

I REALLY want some non-bipedal characters in this project. Not just static props or live props. Rigged characters that I can manipulate as I see fit. I've been researching how to do this for weeks. I've been looking into using Poser models, running them through Daz (of which I know very little) and bringing it into Max which I know less than nothing about. Therein lies the problem. Rigging? Skinning? Whoosh - over my head! But I've been trying to learn anyway, watching my hair turn grey one by one. I've reached the point where I have successfully gotten a rigged poser model into Max but now I have to replace the dummy helper bones with max bones and the bones aren't attaching where they should and I don't know how to link the model to the new rig and I have no clue how to attach the saved envelope to the new bones. Grrrr!! If anyone knows what the heck I'm talking about, please throw a sista a life preserver and save me. You'd have my everlasting gratitude... and my first born if that's what it takes! Nah, sorry - you can't have him/her but everlasting gratitude is still a good deal! :D

So yeah, that's where I'm at. I'm hoping to nail down a rough 1st draft of the script in the next 2-3 weeks. I'm also going to work on my lines for one of Killian's upcoming Odyssey episodes - if you haven't seen - go watch!

Till the next time - toodles! :)

5 comments:

  1. Whew aT !! - the Poser>Max>Whacky-WTF Pipeline sounds very convoluted. Have you tried just bringing-in parts of your models and using Clone Bones to bone them in iClone? I have no experience with this so I may be talking out my butt. However it would seem easier to do that way and I don't know if iClone even acknowledges bones from another program. I think that's why they have Clone Bone? No? Yes?
    I don't know LOL - but good luck Grrl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, you are adventurous! I never dared to touch any 3D programs - be that blender, Daz or Max... I pull my hat before you!
    Best of luck on your endeavours - reading about your dedication, I'm certain you will get where you want to, even if it takes you some time!
    I'm crossing my fingers for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Cathy - Thanks! :) Clone bones would only work for a humanoid character aka bipedal. In the Development Center on the Reallusion site, they have a plugin for Max that allows you to export iClone compatible props/characters. They had a donkey example in the whitepages that they rigged from scratch and brought into iClone. I worked through the example and got it in but I couldn't understand the skinning part so the model distorted weirdly when I moved the bones. That's something I've got to get a handle on or it's gonna look like crap. I'll start of with lots of coffee to get me through... then I may switch to the hard stuff! :D

    @sisch Thanky! :) I'll take all the luck and support I can get!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the utmost confidence in you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. At last; a few scant minutes to catch up with all my blog followings...

    Sounds like your well into planning your first big "military operation"... and loving every hard, sweaty and frustrating minute of it :)

    As always, any minor thing I can do to assist, please feel free to let me know and I'll do what I can, me dear :)

    ReplyDelete